Officially established as Deschutes County Rural Fire Protection District #2 in 1952, ‘The District’ provides fire prevention, protection and suppression services to residents living outside of the Bend city limits. In 1991, the charter was expanded to include emergency medical services (EMS).
The District has approximately 140 square miles of suburban and forested land and serves over 25,000 constituents. Governed by an elected five-member volunteer Board of Directors, the paid Executive Director manages the day-to-day operations, fiscal and contract management, and performs administrative and public relations functions on behalf of the District.
The actual delivery of fire and emergency medical services is provided through a contract with the City of Bend Fire Department.